New York Times: “It took 13 years for the United States to come to its senses and end Prohibition, 13 years in which people kept drinking, otherwise law-abiding citizens became criminals and crime syndicates arose and flourished. It has been more than 40 years since Congress passed the current ban on marijuana, inflicting great harm on society just to prohibit a substance far less dangerous than alcohol. The federal government should repeal the ban on marijuana.”
The Times editorial board wants the U.S. to legalize marijuana and has a six part series on marijuana.
- Part 1: Let States Decide on Marijuana, July 26, 2014
- Part 2: Let States Decide on Marijuana, July 26, 2014
- Part 3: The Injustice of Marijuana Arrests, July 28, 2014
- Part 4: The Federal Marijuana Ban Is Rooted in Myth and Xenophobia, July 29, 2014
- Part 5: What Science Says About Marijuana, July 30, 2014